The bodyguard is a traitor. The princess is her one true love. And the revolution is almost here.
Elsenna Hazen left spaceport security and ended up a royal bodyguard. She should have known better than to fall in love with a princess.
It’s been two years since one ill-advised kiss in the garden pulled them apart. With uprisings in the streets, the nervous princess transfers Elsenna back into her service. Her Highness has no idea Elsenna is leaking data to the revolutionaries bent on overthrowing the princess’s oppressive father.
Now Elsenna wakes up each day wondering what will happen first: her own execution, or that of the woman she could never stop loving. When rebel attacks escalate and the king plans retaliation, Elsenna discovers that the fights for her love and her life are one and the same.
A 23K f/f sci-fi romance novella with a guaranteed HEA. Identities: lesbian, homoromantic bisexual.
I’ve tried to make these as spoiler-free as possible, but it’s more important to me to give full content information to those who need it.
On-page or extensive discussion:
- Ableism from antagonist secondary character
- Discussion of consent in situations of asymmetrical power
- Discussion of state violence including politically motivated imprisonment, torture, and executions
- Gun violence
- Murder of a side character who is a family member
- Torture, including amputation (details are summarized)
- One main character has acted as part of the secret police
- Character in a hospital bed with monitors and an IV
- Depression / PTSD after injury and acquired disability
- Sex (minimal description)
Off-page or brief mention:
- Possible forced marriage
- Joke about injuring self to avoid a social event
- Public protests involving clashes with police and military
- Alcohol and drug consumption, inebriation
- Dismissive behavior by parent of disabled adult child